Thursday, February 20, 2014

View from a Newbie, Day 1 of the Liberal Convention



Just as an FYI, I've been away from my blog for awhile, having graduated from and busy looking for work in the fire profession, doing ice rescue training, going through the process of starting volunteer work with the Red Cross, and taking a couple of extra emergency management courses among other things.

As I mentioned on twitter earlier tonight, I'm new to the Liberal Party of Canada, having joined last spring, and this is my first, but hopefully not my last convention. Not a newbie to politics, having been a student rep, vice president, and finally president of my college student union, but a newbie to the federal level starting last spring, joining my electoral district association board. In any event, having embarked on an 11 hour train ride, I was pleased to be in a train car full of people clearly headed to the Liberal convention. Also, a shout out to the nurses convention also being held in Montreal, some of whom I made the acquaintance of during the long ride and the failing wi-fi. I tip my hat to the medical field and the compassionate, often under-appreciated work that they do.

Back to Lib14, as it's affectionately known. After settling into my hotel, I headed to the Palais Des Congress and made it through the reasonably quick registration line. Unfortunately, no cowbells left and no English swag bag. All good, because I'm all about apps and brilliantly, I have easy access to everything on my phone including the program, guest speakers, and generally, all I need at my fingertips. Props to the LPC for making it as user friendly as possible.

The convention floor was packed to overflowing standing room only. Really, a defining moment for me, one that I won't forget-simply for the sheer number of people, not to mention what I was seeing and hearing.

Key Moments:

Summers & Freeland

In Conversation, with Lawrence Summers and newly elected MP Chrystia Freeland, held the crowd captive with their discussion on Canada and the economy. Among other things that stood out to me were his comments on opportunity and how lack of opportunity really can create inequality :

"  think very carefully about having balanced approach to inequality"

"can't have employers without employees.... We must never fail to celebrate success, or fail to celebrate opportunity"

"We must also insist an opportunity society give every child a chance to succeed, flourish, and get an education"

"Too often society suffers from the succession of the successful.... Opportunity to everyone [should be] available" 

Trudeau:

Alright, I confess, I never heard the man in person until tonight. And before everyone comments cynically on the Liberal love of Trudeau, for me it's a little more than that. The words, while simple, touch. The charisma let's face it, is clearly there. And there is something endearing  about the way he interacts with his young family that I don't feel from other leaders (Harper, Muclair).

In his speech, Trudeau was long on reaching out to the party:

"have faith: this idea that diversity is strength has always been an idea here"

"When progress stalls fear moves forward, can only be beaten back by hope"

 "Canadians are counting on us, lets let them know we won't let them down"

Another touching moment, thanking Irwin Cotler MP, for his tireless work on behalf of the party, which brought the room to its feet in a standing ovation. 

Finally, the video call to his wife, Sophie- due any day now, and the revelation that one of the Trudeau children lost a tooth. I'm sure there's a visit from the tooth fairy coming tonight.

And among the packed crowd, I had the pleasure of meeting the Honourable Stéphane Dion



All in all, a pretty good first day for a newbie like me, though there was a tense moment around 11:30 pm when I had myself turned around after leaving the Anna Gainey party and took a few minutes figuring out where my hotel was.

Night all, off to Young Liberals in the morning.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment